Saturday, September 4, 2010

30 Days of Blogging - Day 4 - My Favourite Book

The only reason this one is easier than the previous 3 'favourites' is that I'm not even going to pretend to have a favourite. I am far too avid a reader. I can describe my reading habits, such as they are, however:

  1. 1. I like series'. I'm greedy; when I really enjoy a story I feel incredibly sad and deflated when it's over. So I enjoy stories like the Twilight saga, the Sookie Stackhouse series, the Anne of Green Gables series, which allow the 'story' to continue.
  2. I like non-fiction; particularly political and historical non-fiction or non-fiction about religion. I have loved reading "The Emerging Christian Way" by Marcus Borg et al, "This United Church of Ours", Karen Armstrong's "History of God", and almost anything by Bart Ehrman. On the political side - "Bastards and Boneheads", a history of Canadian public figures by Will Ferguson; "Too Close to Call", an account of the 2000 Presidential election shenanigans in Florida by Jeffrey Toobin, and both Bill and Hilary Clinton's autobiographies. I have also enjoyed Barack Obama's two books.
  3. I enjoy biography. This can extend to almost anyone interesting - I've read several books about Princess Diana, as well as biographies of Eleanor of Aquitaine, the 6 wives of Henry VIII, and the autobiographies listed above.
  4. I DEVOUR wrestling books. Some recommendations: The Pain and the Passion: A History of Stampede Wrestling by Heath McCoy; Ring of Hell by Michael Randazzo IV; Sex, Lies and Headlocks by Mike Mooneyham; World Wrestling Insanity and Shoot First: Ask Questions Later by James Guttman. In terms of autobiographies, ghostwritten or otherwise; check out Hitman: My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Pro Wrestling by Bret Hart; A Lion's Tale by Chris Jericho, Adam Copeland on Edge by, well, Adam "Edge" Copeland, and almost anything by Mick Foley (though I'd recommend his two earlier books or his works of fiction over the self-serving Hardcore Diaries). Hulk Hogan's second autobiography, while a bit of a tall tale, was still a good read, as was Shawn Michaels' autobiography.

No comments: