Saturday, September 18, 2010

30 Days of Blogging - Day 17 - A Work of Art



Starry Night by Vincent Van Gogh. This has been one of my favourite paintings for a long time now, although I couldn't explain for the life of me why. I think because it just embodies everything - it is so dark yet so bright at the same time, so forboding yet also peaceful, hopeful ... almost all of humanity. I'm stretching a point here in my art analysis I know - don't think for a second that all this is going through my head consciously when I look at this painting, only now when I look at it. It just appeals to me, and these seem as good and art-critick-y reasons to give as any. :) BTW, any conspiracy/history buffs will also understand why the following painting appeals to me:



Conspiracy, religion, history, very early feminism (!?) all in one seemingly straightforward, uncontroversial, even reverant work of art. Don't get it? Read the da Vinci Code. :) XO

No comments: