Sunday, September 12, 2010

30 Days of Blogging - Day 12 - Things I am OCD About

I have to admit I am generally speaking the opposite of OCD as understood by pop culture - I mean, to a fault. Not that I am filthy and a slob or anything like that - I keep a generally neat and clean home, I wash my hands when I eat or use the washroom, shower every other day, stuff like that. But short of the odd moment where something catches my eye and I know better and it bugs me until it's fixed, I don't really care if my bed's not made perfectly, or the boys' toys haven't been put away 'just so', or if the shower I was supposed to have Sunday night ends up being had Monday morning, or I change the bed sheets after 2 weeks instead of 1.

However - OCD=obsessive compulsive disorder. And if we're going to talk obsessions and compulsions, I would be remiss not to mention my relationship with food. Without getting into too many personal and private details, I am actively working on changing this aspect of my life. But in sum - how others might use alcohol, or drugs, I rely on food. And I'm not talking a few too many berries one day or having a white potato instead of a sweet potato (horrors!). So yeah ... that's the journey I'm fighting. For some it's obsessive handwashing, or rituals that, for example, bedtime routines need to be followed just so before someone can sleep. For me, it's all about food.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And you'll get past the food issue. I know you will. You're a strong woman who can do anything she puts her mind to!!