Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Luke & Noah - As the World Turns

OK let me make it very clear off the bat I am not generally a daytime soap fan. I DO follow Young & the Restless, and every week or two I find an update on Days of our Lives; but I'm not one who sits down for the afternoon to watch my 'stories'. I haven't seen so much as 5 seconds of As the World Turns in my life. I wouldn't know any of their characters if they came up and bit me on the ass in the street.

However of late I've had some major respect for ATWT - they have incorporated what is, from what I can tell, the first gay couple in daytime soap history with Luke and Noah. Now yes, they've been playing it safe - while every other soap couple is like, in bed with each other by their first date at the latest, they've had like, 2 onscreen kisses in their 6-month history. But nonetheless, props to ATWT for dealing with the issue at all, seeing as I know it's controversial, and hey - in a way, taking a relationship slowly and getting to know each other gives me a lot more respect for this couple as it is much more indicative of how these things go in real life - or else would in an ideal world.

But of course the bigotted dunderheads must now come out in droves. The American Family Association has written this sternly-worded epistle to rouse the base and create complaints:

Procter & Gamble has resumed using explicit, open-mouth homosexual kissing in their soap opera, "As the World Turns." P&G decided to include this type of content as a commitment to "diversity." P&G stopped showing such scenes some months ago, but has now decided to again help promote the homosexual agenda which includes homosexual marriage.

Gay activists are hopeful that the P&G effort will desensitize viewers to the homosexual lifestyle and help make the unhealthy and immoral lifestyle more acceptable to society, especially to children and youth.

"As the World Turns" is owned and controlled completely by P&G. No network made this decision. P&G alone made the decision to support the homosexual agenda.

P&G needs to hear from you today. We have provided a sample letter for you to send to Chairman Lafley, but strongly encourage you to add a personal message.

Now, nevermind that there are many more things 'repulsive' in soaps than this - and even morally repugnant. While I don't watch any wide variety of soaps, let me use the one I DO watch example. How about the fact that as I think about it, the only characters on Young and the Restless I can think of who haven't been divorced as yet are all under the age of 12? How about the fact that recent shenanigans on that show include the 7-times married (I think) Victor Newman, who is still married, though separated, from his current wife, carrying his daughter's best friend - 20 or 25 years his junior - upstairs to ... well, you can picture the rest. I find old people sex repulsive - should I call in to Y&R to complain about that? And I know it's like this across daytime - 'sex in the afternoon' has long been a staple of the soaps.

But I will not call in to complain. The fact is, as I figure it, old people are entitled to have sex. So are people in their late-teens. So are same-sex couples. To the extent soaps are ever a reflection of reality, human nature is reflected in them, amid the myriad marriages and bedhopping, which these groups seem to find acceptable, so long as it's heterosexual. To me, there is absolutely nothing offensive about a happy, loving young couple in a committed relationship of some months standing - whoever is involved in said relationship. *sigh* And I had taken it as a smidgen of hope on Y&R when recently an interracial young couple (Lily and Daniel) got married, given that the last time Y&R had forayed in that direction - with Lily's father Neil and Victor's daughter Victoria - it was met with a barrage of hate mail.

The most unfortunate thing however? Just as the plug was pulled on Victoria and Neil due to undue negative backlash to a black-white pairing, Proctor & Gamble has set up a hotline for us to call in with our views - and I'm afraid the only people who will be willing to use it are those who have a problem with this, despite in all likelihood having never seen the show, nor having even the remotest idea of the backstory as at least I do (the only reason, for the record, I feel qualified to comment on this). And which you now have as well. So join me. Are you an ATWT watcher who wants to save Luke and Noah? Or do you simply agree with me that their homosexuality alone is not a reason to censor this otherwise - from what I can tell - wholesome young couple? Then please phone P&G's hotline at 1-800-331-3774. Thanks! :) XO

No comments: