Thursday, June 25, 2009

Michael Jackson

As I was writing about Farrah Fawcett's death today, another, more controversial figure, was also rushed to hospital, in cardiac arrest. Michael Jackson, 50 year old pop superstar, has died after a stellar career and oftentimes tragic personal life. He faced charges 5 years ago of child molestation, after nearly a decade of similar rumours. As a teacher, I will not speak to those - my gut instinct is to err on the side of caution and safety where children are concerned, however I also believe in 'innocent until proven guilty', which he was not - but I will speak as a music fan to the fact he was a talented performer, and it was sad to see his ill health and the scandals which plagued his career in later years. It is sad to hear of his death from a 'fan' perspective, and I hope on a personal level that in death Jackson finds the peace he so craved and found so elusive in life.

My prayers as well go to his family, in particular his 3 young children (Prince Michael, Paris and Blanket), but also to his siblings, parents and those who were close to Jackson.

No comments: