Friday, August 22, 2008

Martin Luther King Quote

The quote from Martin Luther King in the previous music video is from his last sermon before his assassination, hours before he was gunned down:

"I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people will get to the promised land."

How prescient, and how much I hope Barack Obama is here to lead our American neighbours out of the past 8 years of tyranny, constitutional faux-pas, and illegal war and into the promised land of peace; of healthcare for all; of safe, rare, and legal abortions; of repealing irresponsible tax cuts which only benefit the very rich; of turning around the damage the Bushies' oil buddies and others have done to the environment; where children are very much left behind ...

On to the brighter future MLK promised all of us!

No comments: