Friday, June 3, 2011

Senate Page Fired for Protest During Throne Speech

Check out the video below:



What do you think? Honestly, I'm still trying to wrap my head around an opinion. On the one hand, I would imagine this young woman, Brigitte dePape, and I would for the most part be of a political mind when it comes to stances on issues - I tend to be progressive in my end-goals, where I describe myself as a moderate comes more in my approach. And I definitely admire the tenacity of her convictions and her chutzpah, as Ari would call it.

At the same time, I am enough of a traditionalist, with respect for the parliament (moreso than our PM - let me tell you, hearing Conservatives today speaking of a contemptuous act toward Parliament kind of make me laugh) and for parliamentary tradition, that I'm given a little bit of pause at her methods. I don't know if I would go so far as to call this a security breech as some do - the woman worked in Parliament and came in with paper tucked into her skirt, she wasn't some uncleared attendee who set off a metal detector - and I'm not sure if I would consider it 'illegal' exactly. Uncivil, for sure - but is incivility sometimes justified?

Just not sure ... still thinkin' ... but definitely livened up what can be a bit of a long and droning speech, didn't it? :) We can at least thank Brigitte dePape for that.

No comments: