Friday, July 10, 2009

Sad and Disgusting

The following depresses me as a Christian greatly -



It sickens me that the name of my Saviour is being used to promote hate.
Even if you DO believe in the message espoused by this church
(which I do NOT, for the record,
lest they be perceived to speak for all Christians),
it is for God to sort out -
Jesus' charge to us mortals here on earth is to 'love thy neighbour'.
If this is somehow an expression of love
to show 'misguided' (in quotes) non believers
'the path to salvation',
there is a less incendiary way of doing so;
Is not
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Light. No one comes to the Father except through Me." (John 14:6)
the same message in a much less offensive
(and more canonical) language?

Sad. Not Christian. Not Christ-like. Nothing I would want to be a part of, and it depresses me because I see this and understand the skepticism that keeps people from believing; understand how church, when seen in this way, turns people off, when really (when done correctly) it is such a powerful medium for good in our lives and in the world ... and obviously, too, for ill. For hate is of the devil, and misunderstanding comes about from evil acts (see the Tower of Babel - Genesis).

As a Christian who believes one's faith is a very personal relationship with God, let me speak for me - This is not God's word. This is not my church. And may we all in time come to understand the message of love and healing God tried to communicate to us through Jesus Christ, and remember the true meaning of Peter Scholtes' hymn:

"And they'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love
Yes they'll know we are Christians by our love."

No comments: